On June 9, 2017, CTC-RI hosted its quarterly Breakfast of Champions learning opportunity with a focus on practice innovation and building the medical neighborhood. The three presentations discussed a statewide collaborative of emergency physicians using Choosing Wisely as the backbone for a campaign to reduce inappropriate imaging for low back pain with the aim of partnering with primary care practices as well.
The agenda and topics included:
- Advanced Primary Care Model- Pano Yeracaris, MD, MPH;
- Reducing Avoidable Imaging in Low-Risk Back Pain Patients in the Emergency Department-William Sabina, MD; and
- HealthFacts RI CTC Cohort and Practice Reporting- David Jorgenson
Additionally, some of the practice representatives from “graduated” CTC-RI sites were recognized for their achievements and involvements within the initiative including:
- Comprehensive Community Action Program with sites at Cranston, Warwick and Coventry);
- Internal Medicine Partners
- Thundermist West Warwick
- Wood River
The next Clinical Practice Champion Learning Session will take place on Friday September 8, 2017 with expected topics to include current guidelines for opiate use in chronic pain, and practice examples around implementation of Choosing Wisely.